It’s that time of year when the sniffles are more prevalent than steaming styrofoam cups of coffee; and the city is filled with red noses, fierce coughs and drab faces. Mine is no exception – there was no blog posted yesterday (sorry) due to my first sick day in 6 months – I slept for 15 hours straight so clearly I was exhausted.
Getting sick is nature’s way of telling you that you aren’t taking good enough care of yourself – The most accessible ways to take care of yourself are as follows;
- Exercise 3-4 times per week with a mix of cardio and strength training
- A wide range of fruits and vegetables in your diet
- 2 liters of water per day
- 8+ hours of sleep per night
- Reduction in caffeine, processed foods, cigarettes, alcohol and red meat
- Adequate relaxation and ‘me’ time
A combination of these above things have enabled my body to remain ‘sick free’ for well over 6 months but the last few stressful weeks in which I have been working more than usual and not taking the best of care of myself have left me with both a cold and pure exhaustion!
Common symptoms of the cold and flu are;
- Achiness of the body
- Runny nose
- Cough and/or sore throat
- Scratchy voice
- Lack of energy and/or concentration
Ways to beat the symptoms of the cold and flu are;
- Fluids – water in particular!
- Rest – PLENTY! Up the ante to 12+ hours
- Antioxidant filled foods – Berries, green leafy veggies to name a few
- Take zinc supplements
- Chew on vitamin C tablets like your life depends on it!
The Cold and Flu are one if society’s most contagious illnesses which is why generally when those around you get it you do also. So next time you have a headache and a nasty cough don’t go to work thinking you are amazing for prevailing through as you will ultimately get everyone else sick – stay at home, sleep, turn off your iphone, take care of yourself and get better.