Curly hair is all the rage these days so those with curly hair can rejoice. The problem is that curly hair comes with its own specific hair care needs and if you don’t treat your curly hair well it may just turn into a frizzy mess to spite you.
For those with natural wave their hair curls in a slight wave pattern. (Think Nicole Richie) While this type of hair is not as temperamental as extremely curly hair it does still need extra TLC to look its best. Wavy hair curls in a subtle pattern and can be either scrunched to a curlier version or blow straight. If you choose to straighten your wavy hair be sure you are using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, as well as protective styling products, to ensure you minimize the damage done by heated styling tools.
For those with very curly hair, your hair curls in a variety of twists and turns that make it very difficult for the scalp’s natural oils to nourish the hair strands. This leaves curly hair prone to dryness and damage. Your best bet with very curly hair is to work with, not against, the curl for healthier hair. Use a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair, as well as weekly hair treatments to keep your hair as soft and moisturized as possible.
Curly hair is more porous that straight hair and even more so when it is wet. While your hair is damp is the best time to use protective styling products as they will be absorbed better by your hair and help calm and control frizz. If you decide to blow dry your hair make sure to use a diffuser attachment which will let your hair retain its natural shape better. Letting your hair curls stay in their natural state as much as possible will result in a better hairstyle. If you can, air drying is the healthier choice so opt out of blow drying whenever possible.
To continue on from yesterday I’ve unearthed some of the best products to deal with and tame the curly haired people’s mass of hair which is generally spiraling out of control (literally).
I think people with curly hair have either been cursed or blessed. People who have been cursed are one of my best friends who has to get her hair chemically straitened it’s that unruly, Sarah Jessica Parker (I don’t care what people say – in the first season of SATC her hair was FERAL and MANKY as). Those that are blessed are my Dad, Aunty, Trainer, Meg Ryan and Sandra Oh – Just to name a few.
So what are the best products that both blessed and cursed curly headed people can use?
FIRSTLY you need to tame the frizz that generally accompanies ALL curls –
- 1. John Frieda Frizz-Ease 100% Shine Glossing Mist (Est $14.95) An AMAZING formula which flattens your frizzies and flyaway’s while giving your hair that ad worth shine.
- 2. Herbal Essense’s None of Your Frizziness (Est 7.95) Really cheap and it really works – an awesome leave-in crème to apply after washing your locks.
- 3. Paul Mitchell’s Super Skinny Serum (Est $28.95) thick, bulky hair will shrink beautifully into manageable tresses. The Super Skinny Serum is best when applied to damp or towel-dried hair. This lightweight product also decreases drying time. This product may also be applied to completely dry hair to tame any fly-aways.
- 4. Sebastian Professional Potion 9 (Est $18) A cult product containing a cocktail of botanical extracts, including olive oil and evening primrose oil, this lightweight elixir is brilliant for pumping moisture back into dry hair, rejuvenating it and leaving it silky-soft to the touch.
- 5. L’Oréal Paris ELVIVE Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum ($9.75) smooths fly-aways and makes hair more manageable
Now the products to give that head of curls some management and style!
- 1. John Frieda Frizz-Ease Dream Curls – Curl Perfecting Spray (Est $14.95) Transforms wilted waves and curls into sexy swerves, curves and spirals. The Alcohol-free formula leaves hair super-silky, and never gives it that horrid “crispy” look and feel.
- 2. Pantene Hydrating Curls Mousse – Softens, controls and shapes your curls. (Est $7.95)
- 3. David Babaii Volcanic Ash Sculpting Clay (Est $24.95) The medium weight of this advanced Volcanic Ash Sculpting Clay gives the desired definition, lift and fullness without a sticky or stiff feel.
- 4. Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock Leave-In Hair Conditioner (Est $22.99) This prod is fantastic for someone who has frizzy hair yet mainly want to manage and show off their curls. BTW it smells yummy!
- 5. Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost (Est $28) Redken’s exclusive Interbond Conditioning System delivers curl-activating elastapol that combines with moisture-rich coconut oil, repairing oleo-amido and fortifying protein to form the advanced Elasta-Shield Complex. Curls are replenished with lasting frizz control and shine
So there you have it folks – treat and control that frizzy mess into a halo of glorious curls!